It is very easy to find a vet for usual pets like cats and dogs but if you are an exotic animal lover, you might have a hard time finding the right doctor for your pet. Not only must the vet willing to see your outlandish pet but also must have knowledge and experience with special equipment and facilities to treat your beloved pets.
Do All Veterinarians Treat Exotic Animals?
Not all the veterinarians are exotic animal experts! Most of the vet courses are about treating normal pets like cats, dogs and farm animals. And a majority of vet doctors have limited experience handling species with canines and felines.
Though a general veterinarian might love to take your animal for treatment but will refer it to a specialist on the emergence of a serious medical concern.
Are There Special Vets For Exotic Animals?
Since most of the vet degrees focus on usual pets and farm animals, not every vet can treat your exotic pet. This is because not all doctors have love for rare species. Only those who have personal interest in studying and handling these animals take extra training via:
- Continuing education courses
- Internships for treating exotic animals
- Hands-on workshops
- Specialization-which requires to pass a licensing exam to ascertain their knowledge and skills.
What Exotic Animals Can A Specialized Vet Treat?
Treating exotic animals does not only require professionalism and experience but special care, equipment and facilities. A specialized vet can handle rare pets like:
- Guinea pigs
- Rats and mice
What Questions Should I Ask From An Exotic Animal Vet?
While many animal doctors might claim they are experts in treating rare species, you must make sure your pet is not their first animal to experiment with. Always make sure to ask these questions when consulting a vet for your beloved pet.
- What are your credentials as exotic animals vet?
- How many years of experience do you have with exotic pets?
- Are you associated with any exotic pets’ organization?
Many specialized vets are associated with special boards like:
- Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV)
- Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV)
- Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians (ARAV)
How Can I Find A Vet For My Exotic Pet?
You might have some difficulty in spotting an exotic animal expert. Therefore use all the resources you have to find the best vet for your beloved animal which may include:
- Personal recommendations ( peers and family acquaintances)
- Herpetological societies
- Rescue groups
- Online facilities like; The Unusual Pet Vets
When Should I Visit An Exotic Animal Vet?
You should never wait for an urgency to find you a vet. Take your new pet for an initial checkup. Discuss your pet’s care and diet. Visit them on regular basis to make sure the best health to your beloved pet.