With Good Friday and Easter coming up during the time of COVID-19, I wanted to share an update from the Belmont Business Improvement District (BID) also known as “Little Italy in the Bronx” neighborhood which includes Arthur Avenue.
While the BID features their latest comprehensive list of local businesses that are currently operating for curbside pick-up, takeout, delivery and mail-order shipping on their website (HERE), I wanted to highlight a list of merchants below who are offering a variety of specials for Easter:
- Gino’s Pastry Shop – Celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, Gino’s Pastry Shop ships select items including frozen cheesecakes, pastries, cannoli cream and shells, and more. Curbside pickup and take out are also available. Second-generation owner Jerome Raguso specialty hand-painted marzipan lamb is a popular dish and a traditional Sicilian delicacy. Call directly to place an order.
- Mike’s Deli – Located in the Arthur Avenue Retail Market, Mike’s Deli is open for shipping, delivery, curbside takeout, and takeout. Easter specialty products include but are not limited to pizza rustica, Neapolitan and Calabrese style, and spaghetti pie, along with their popular ricotta and basket cheese items.
- Calandra Cheese – Making ricotta and fresh mozzarella daily, Calandra Cheese is one of the most popular shops in the neighborhood that also features a variety of pastas, meats, and other specialty Italian items. Call directly for shipping and take out options.
- Madonia Bakery and Addeo Bakery – Madonia Bakery and Addeo Bakery are both multi-generational, family-owned bakeries that create specialty Easter bread, which is a sweet Italian tradition and is oftentimes baked in the shape of a wreath with three pieces of dough braided together to represent the Holy Trinity and/or with colored eggs. Both bakeries are open for takeout.
- Teitel Brothers and Cerini Coffee & Gifts – In preparation of this year’s Easter of sheltering in place, customers at both merchants will provide chocolate Easter eggs, fillings and treats, along with essential products such as olive oil, canned Italian goods, dried goods, among others that are available for shipping. Call directly to order.
- Vincent’s Meat Market – Family owned and operated since 1954, Vincent’s Meat Market has been providing high quality, fresh meat, and poultry sourced from reputable farms. With lamb as a popular and traditional dish to serve on Easter, it’s available for shipping via their website. Free delivery is also available to the Bronx, Manhattan and Westchester.
- For those who want to order a comforting authentic Italian meal for curbside pickup and takeout, Antonio’s Trattoria (delivery is also available), Enzo’s of Arthur Avenue and MichaelAngelo’s are open.