Yes, believe it or not – the lowly cucumber is an amazing food. Related to watermelon and honeydew, they are made up of 95% water, and thus the perfect food to enjoy this summer to ward off dehydration and combat the heat. Below are some key surprising health benefits for even more reasons to enjoy cucumbers.
- Weight Loss and Digestion – Due to its high fiber and water content it helps flush toxins out of the body.
- Reduces Cholesterol and Controls Blood Pressure – High in plant sterols, potassium, magnesium and fiber makes it great for treating blood pressure and cholesterol balance.
- Anti-oxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Benefits – Rich in Vitamin C, beta carotene and quercetin, cucumbers have been shown to increase scavenging of free radicals and reduce unwanted inflammation.
- Anti-Cancer – Cucumbers contain polyphenols called lignans (pinoresinol, lariciresinol, and secoisolariciresinol), which may help to lower your risk of breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate cancers.
- Stress Reduction – Cucumbers contain multiple B vitamins, including vitamin B1, vitamin B5, and vitamin B7 (biotin). B vitamins are known to help ease feelings of anxiety and buffer some of the damaging effects of stress.