Essential Tips to Prevent Skin Damage and Cancer Protection. Dr. Frey is considered amongst many to be the “Ralph Nader of Skincare” as she does not accept monetary endorsements from beauty companies. Because of her no “pay for play” philosophy, she can give honest and transparent advice – rather than push products on consumers.
Dr. Frey vows, “Sunscreen is a must,” and talks about the scientific studies that show the health benefits of applying daily sunscreen in her book THE SKINCARE HOAX: How You’re Being Tricked into Buying Lotions, Potions & Wrinkle Cream.
- Sunscreen: Apply daily, liberally, and often. (repeat every two hours if sweating, swimming, or exercising)
- Cover Up: Minimize exposed skin in an attempt to reduce exposure to UV rays. (long sleeve shirts, hats, sunglasses)
- Seek shade: Avoid tanning and getting sunburn (the risk for melanoma doubles if you’ve had more than five sunburns)
- Avoid outdoor midday activities (the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm)
- Get an annual skin exam (The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends that all adults see a doctor every year for a professional skin exam)
Through her website, FryFace, consumers can learn more about sunscreen.