Windsurfing is a kind of extreme water sport, which is a unique combination of surfing and sailing. This is a fascinating hobby for those who love the sea, sails, and freedom. The main task of a windsurfer is to control a small board and a sail attached to it on the water.
The origin of this sport is dated by the 20th century. There is still no common view on its origins. It is considered that Peter Chilvers from England created a new type of water entertainment based on a surfboard. He was the first one to come up with an idea to ride on a board in the presence of wind. However, the most popular version states that the founder of windsurfing was Newman Darby. In 1948, he built a floating board. In 1964, he invented a universal joint used to connect the rig’s mast to a plank. Unfortunately, his project was not officially registered. All the glory went to the Californian Jim Drake, who patented his invention. Most windsurfers consider him the founder of the board with a sail.
Windsurfing consists of gliding on the surface by controlling the sail and using the incoming wind flow. There are two ways of wind boarding:
In this mode the floating board is held on the surface by the Archimedes force, its lower part is in the water. Due to the water resistance, the windsurfer can not develop high speed. This method is mainly used by novice athletes.
In this mode, the board is held on the water surface and does not sink into it due to the lifting force of the wind flow that fills the sail. You can learn planing only with a wind of 6 m/s and with experience in managing a sail and aboard. Large-sized sailing boards can be planing at wind speeds of 3 m/s. However, the technologies are developing, and now there are topjetsurfing boards with motor. They allow you to surf in any type of water without wind and waves.
In order to practice wing boarding, even at the amateur level, you need to invest a lot of money to buy equipment, including:
The advantage is that beginners do not have to rush for shopping. You can easily rent all equipment at windsurfing schools or rental companies. If you realize that this is not your sport, then you will not have to regret the expensive purchase.
If you like this sport, then you will have to buy your own equipment. It should meet all your requirements as much as possible, including height, weight, and other parameters.
Today, windsurfing is gaining great popularity in different countries. Every year, more and more athletes start participating in this sport. There are several main types of windsurfing:
– Amateur windsurfing
Board riding on calm water is for novice surfers who consider this sport as entertainment. Sailing on the sea, lake or reservoir, people get positive emotions and new impressions. And of course, windsurfing involves a good physical activity, so it can be considered as an active, developing sport.
– Professional windsurfing
A true water sport of sailing, which is divided into several disciplines:
- Slalom, or speed race-competition for time in strong winds at high speeds;
- Freestyle where you need to perform spectacular jumps and complex acrobatic tricks;
- Wave-riding on large waves with the performance of various maneuvers and tricks;
- Super X, or supercross-race against the clock with overcoming obstacles, jumps and tricks.
– Winter windsurfing
This is a type of surfing under sail on snow or ice. Instead of a surfboard, the sportsmen use a special skiboard or a skateboard. The sail is set from a conventional water windsurf. Winter windsurfing is more traumatic, and it requires the mandatory use of full protection — on the elbows, knees, back, and head.
1) Windsurfing requires high physical activity and involves various muscles. If you want to improve your body, this kind of sport is for you.
2) You will become more confident in yourself. Every time you ride a board with a sail, you learn new things, interact with the elements, and overcome your fears. All this will give you confidence.
3) Windsurfing will change your way of life. You will travel more, discover new cultures, people, and places. And it will not be a tourist trip, but a real adventure.
4) You will get rid of bad habits. They are incompatible with riding on aboard. Quit smoking, start drinking a glass of warm water in the morning on an empty stomach, and exchange fatty foods for fruits and vegetables.
5) And finally, windsurfing is beautiful. It will provide you with a great figure, a bronze tan, golden hair from the sun, and a happy face.
Windsurfing is a type of extreme sport. Many people have chosen it as their hobby. They travel around the world in search of the best places to ride a board with a sail. Such places should have stable winds, a mild climate, and preferably be sparsely populated. Therefore, let’s have a look at some of the best places on a global scale for windsurfing.
- Maui Island;
- Bonaire Island;
Windsurfing is a very interesting and quite safe sport with numerous fans all over the world. For training, you need to apply to a specialized school. When choosing a school for windsurfing, you should pay attention to:
- Availability of the appropriate license;
- Professionalism, experience, and awards of the instructor;
- Presence of training programs for beginners and experienced athletes;
- Reviews of the school’s students.