Whether you’re planning a fancy multi-course brunch or going away for the weekend to explore a new city together, when it comes to finding the perfect gift for mom, you want to find something that’s thoughtful and uniquely her. The perfect gift is something that complements her interests, yet it isn’t something that she’d necessarily buy for herself. Here are some gifts that she’ll love:
For the Stylish Housewife
Every gal can appreciate the indulgence of getting a Diptyque candle (cost: $28-$65). The French brand has a cult following of beauty and fashion aficionados around the world, as well as Martha Stewart devotees who are committed to treating guests to a memorable and welcoming experience when at their home. Some best-selling fragrance options include:
- Baies: light and fruity with a scent of roses and blackcurrant leaves.
- Rose duet: a limited-edition blend of the brand’s two most popular scents, roses and baies for a fruity and floral experience in a chic pink jar.
- Verveine: this scent is refreshing and clean smelling.
- Pomander: this spicy scent is a blend of orange, cinnamon and cloves.
- Feu de Bois: warm and woody, this scent is cozy and sophisticated.
Pair the candle with a bouquet of fresh flowers for a thoughtful gift that will really make her feel special. Add an element of surprise and have flowers delivered; FTD delivers flowers that are already arranged in a vase for a gorgeous presentation that your mom will surely love.
For the Mom About Town
Get your fashionable mom a designer handbag, the current handbag shape of the season, in a bright color. Whether you choose a small or large one, the proportions and detailing should be classic and ladylike. Look to the Hermes Kelly Handbag for inspiration. For material, leather is best in this style. Look for bold hues like neon pink, creamsicle orange and bright lavender. J. Crew’s Edie Purse (cost: $238) and Kate Spade’s Bow Terrace Bradshaw Handbag (cost: $498).
For the Aspiring Chef
She’s always cooking up something new, and with love as an ingredient in everything she makes, the results are always delicious. Get the aspiring chef a new cookbook to add to her collection. Choose one that has more than just basic recipes, but also offers insight into technique to provide a deeper understanding of how to prepare each dish. Some great options include:
- “The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs” by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg
- “Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making” by James Peterson
- “I Know How to Cook” by Ginette Mathiot
- “The Science of Good Cooking” by the editors of America’s Test Kitchen and Guy Crosby
- “The Silver Spoon New Edition” by Phaidon Press
For the Athletic Mom
Whether she runs marathons, is a spin fanatic or starts each day on her yoga mat, one thing is certain, she takes her fitness very seriously. Get your athletic mom a gift that will help her keep track of her fitness goals so she can continue making strides to being her best self by getting her an UP by Jawbone (cost: $129.99). This high-tech wristband tracks your movement 24/7 and offers insights into your habits with a coordinating app to help improve overall health and wellness.
Photo by Flickr user Loozrboy