21 Nov, 2010
Brussels Sprouts With Lemon and PancettaPosted by Stacy
I guess I am on the never ending quest for Thanksgiving sides. These look so delicious . One thing I really know, Pancetta makes everything taste better.
Pan seared Brussels sprouts with lemon and pancetta
When paired with bright lemon and salty bits of pancetta, Brussels sprouts fill that need for an earthy fall side dish without being heavy or overpowering. Steaming the Brussels sprouts in the same pan before sauteing ensures they’ll be mildly sweet, toothy and tender with a concentrated caramelized crust.
Pan Seared Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Pancetta
When to Make it: Blanch one day before Thanksgiving, pan sear 30-minutes before serving
2 cups water
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and heads cut in half from top to stem
1 cup chopped pancetta
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of three lemons
Salt to taste
Heat a large frying pan on high heat. Add water and a pinch of salt. Add Brussels sprouts and bring the water to a boil. Drain the Brussels sprouts after 5 minutes of cooking and set aside.
Return the pan to medium heat and dry any water left in the pan with a clean paper towel. Add pancetta to the pan and render until just crispy. Add olive oil and Brussels sprouts to the pan. Adjust the heat as needed to caramelize the Brussels sprouts without burning.
When the Brussels sprouts are caramelized and tender, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic. Turn off the heat and add salt to taste. Add lemon zest and toss.
This technique works great with root vegetables and green beans, too. Cut vegetables into equal size pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Recipe: Steamed Brussels Sprouts With Garlic and Pancetta (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Thanksgiving Side Dish: Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Maple Syrup and Bacon (craftzine.com)
Subscribe for Newsletter
Stay In The Know
Keep In The Know
What You Want To Know!
- I’m Reading 50 Shades of Grey and So Is Everyone else in Armonk35766 views
- David Letterman’s Top 10 Ten Reasons Golf Is Better than Sex4144 views
- Real Housewives of Westchester Might Just Be A Reality3284 views
- Save Your Marriage More Reasons to Read 50 Shades of Grey3207 views
- Stacy Doesn’t Know2998 views